List of working titles for Marilyn Manson material
From MansonWiki, the Marilyn Manson encyclopedia
Portrait of an American Family
- "Dogma" was at its earliest, recorded under the name "Strange Same Dogma". During the recording of Portrait of an American Family, the song's title was revised to "Dogma (Citronella)", before being truncated to simply "Dogma".
- The "Snake Eyes and Sissies" original title was "Snakeyes and Boxcars".
- The Portrait of an American Family album itself was originally slated to be called The Manson Family Album.
- "Cryptorchid" was given the working title "Little Black Spots". It was referred to as "Black Spots" on the lyric sheet for the recording sessions.
- "Kinderfeld" had its earliest roots in the form of a song titled "Smells Like Children", although it is uncertain if this name was ever a working title for the revised "Kinderfeld" recording.
- "The Reflecting God" was referred to as "Art of Dying" on the lyric sheet for the recording sessions.
- "Piss in the Wound", an outtake from the sessions. A completely different song was also called "Piss in the Wound" and "Crippled Groom" in 1993.
- Mechanical Animals was tentatively given the name Great Big White World, which would have made "Great Big White World" its title track, rather than "Mechanical Animals".
Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death)
- "Born Again" had the working title of "Valley of the Dolls", a recurring lyric towards the end of the track.
- "King Kill 33°" was originally recorded under the name "Gun Factory".
- The album was originally conceived without the "Holy Wood" prefix, and was to be called In the Shadow of the Valley of Death.
The Golden Age of Grotesque
- "Para-noir" was given the working title "The Fuck You Song", following the tradition of "The Fight Song", "The Love Song" and "The Death Song", as a result of having so many instances of the word "fuck."
- "The Golden Age of Grotesque" was originally titled "Third Nostril", a line which appears in the song.
Eat Me, Drink Me
- "Heart-Shaped Glasses (When the Heart Guides the Hand)" was recorded under the truncated name "When the Heart Guides the Hand".
- "Mutilation Is the Most Sincere Form of Flattery" was originally titled "Rebels without Applause".
- Putting Holes in Happiness and When the Heart Guides the Hand were two known working titles for the Eat Me, Drink Me record.
The High End of Low
- "Arma-goddamn-motherfuckin-geddon" originally had an alternate spelling, "Armagoddamotherfuckingeddon".
- "I Have to Look Up Just to See Hell" was intended to the the title track of The High End of Low, and so was naturally also titled "The High End of Low".
- "Leave a Scar" began in the form of a demo titled "maybeharmfulifswallowed".
- "WOW" initially had a slightly longer title, "The WOW".
- "Wight Spider" was initially meant to be titled "White Spider"; the title was changed after the song was recorded, but it wasn't necessary to record it again because of the same pronunciation of the two words.
- The album was originally recorded with the title Co-Morbid in mind, but this was scrapped in favor of Born Villain. This was due to the word "morbid" in the title coming off as too 'death metal.'
- "Overneath the Path of Misery" was given the working title "No Reason".
The Pale Emperor
- The album was originally titled The Mephistopheles of Los Angeles after the song of the same name, but was eventually changed to the current title.
Heaven Upside Down
- Marilyn Manson announced in an interview on July 18, 2016 that the new album will be titled Say10. He later announced the new title Heaven Upside Down on May 8, 2017.
- "Revelation #12" was originally conceived without the "#12" suffix, and was to be called "Revelation".
- "JESUS CRISIS" was the original title for "JE$U$ CRI$I$".
- "We Know Where You Live" is the original title for "WE KNOW WHERE YOU FUCKING LIVE".