|Birth name||Sean Beavan|
|Genre(s)||Glam rock, industrial, electronic, goth rock|
|Label(s)||Nothing Records, Interscope Records|
|Associated acts||8mm, Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, Puscifer, Slayer|
Sean Beavan is a record producer/mixer best known for his work with Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails and Slayer. His production style is typically heavy, with heavily saturated guitars, but his work is diverse and wide ranging as exemplified by bands like No Doubt to System of a Down, to indie bands like Thrice, and 8mm.
Biography and career
Beavan started his career as a musician and engineer in his hometown of Cleveland, Ohio. He played bass and sang in various local bands and also played fretless bass with Clevelander Eric Carmen (of The Raspberries) on the song "Hungry Eyes" on the Dirty Dancing Soundtrack.
While working as an engineer at The Right Track Studio in downtown Cleveland, Sean met Trent Reznor who worked as house programmer. Trent also played keyboards in several local bands that Sean mixed. Trent asked Sean to mix the demos of what was to become Pretty Hate Machine which received multiple offers for record deals.
Sean then was asked to mix Nine Inch Nails for their live concert tours for many years and as their success grew so did the opportunities. Trent then asked Sean to work on The Downward Spiral as well as mix several songs on Marilyn Manson's debut record Portrait of an American Family. After engineering Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral and mixing countless Nine Inch Nails remixes including "Closer" (on the release Closer to God), Sean mixed and co-produced Marilyn Manson's Antichrist Superstar.
In 1996, after 8 years, Sean left Nine Inch Nails to mix front of house for the Dead to the World tour. In late 1997 Sean and Manson moved into the Hollywood Hills and started production on Mechanical Animals.
After that recording was completed Sean went on to produce and mix records for artists as diverse as Guns N' Roses, God Lives Underwater, System of a Down, Depeche Mode, No Doubt, Slayer, Kill Hannah, HYDE, P.O.D., Paloalto, Thrice, Unwritten Law, Moth, Kidneythieves, Tommy Stinson and Chronic Future. He was recently involved once again with Manson, mixing Eat Me, Drink Me.
Sean is currently involved in his own band with his wife Juliette Beavan called 8mm. 8mm have an album entitled Songs to Love and Die by which was released in late-2006. Having recently supported Sean Lennon on the west coast leg of his North American tour the dynamic trip-hop band are currently regulars in the Los Angeles music scene.
Contributions to Marilyn Manson
- Portrait of an American Family (1994) Assistant producer, programming, digital editing, mixing, bass
- Smells Like Children (1995) — Engineering, mixing
- Antichrist Superstar (1996) — Co-producer, engineering, programming, mixing
- Remix & Repent (1997) — Mixing, live engineering, descending horn guitar
- Mechanical Animals (1998) — Additional producer, engineering, programming
- Eat Me, Drink Me (2007) — Mixing
- The High End of Low (2009) — Co-producer
- Born Villain (2012) — Mixing
- Get Your Gunn (1994) — Engineering, mixing
- Lunchbox (1995) — Engineering, programming, mixing
- Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) (1995) — Engineering, programming, mixing
- "Apple of Sodom" — Co-producer, engineering, programming, mixing
- "Long Hard Road Out of Hell" — Co-producer, engineering, programming, mixing
- "The Suck for Your Solution" — Co-producer, engineering, programming, mixing