Putting Holes in Happiness
- This article is about the song
- For the single see Putting Holes in Happiness (single)
- For the essay see JournalEntry:2003/03/03 PUTTING HOLES INTO HAPPINESS
|"Putting Holes in Happiness"|
|Song by Marilyn Manson|
|Album||Eat Me, Drink Me|
|Released||June 5, 2007|
|Recorded||October 31, 2006–February 26, 2007 in Beverly Hills and Hollywood, California|
|Genre||gothic rock, heavy metal|
|Producer||Marilyn Manson, Tim Skold|
"Putting Holes in Happiness" is the second track and second single from the 2007 release Eat Me, Drink Me. Initially, "Putting Holes in Happiness" was set as the first single from the album, but "Heart-Shaped Glasses (When the Heart Guides the Hand)" was chosen instead, similar to the case of "Get Your Gunn". Written on his own birthday Manson describes the song as being "a romantic-misogynistic-cannibal-gothic-vampire ballad". Similarly he has described the whole album as being a "cannibal, consumption, obsessive, violent-sex, romance – but with an upbeat swing." The song was originally announced to be released as a single on September 3, 2007, but the release was later delayed to October 26th. On August 23, 2007, the music video for "Putting Holes in Happiness" was released on Yahoo.com.
Mid-tempo, guitar-orientated, more synths audible than on the album opener. Manson adopts a tortured croon; a guitar solo punctuates the track for almost a minute (2:40 – 3:37).
- Putting Holes in Happiness — Appears on Eat Me, Drink Me
- Putting Holes in Happiness (Radio Edit) — Appears on the "Putting Holes in Happiness" single.
- Putting Holes in Happiness (Acoustic Version) — Appears on "Heart-Shaped Glasses (When the Heart Guides the Hand)" single and the import version of Eat Me, Drink Me.
- Putting Holes in Happiness (Boys Noize Remix)
- Putting Holes in Happiness (Robots to Mars Mix)
- Putting Holes in Happiness (Guitar Hero Remix by Nick Zinner)
- Putting Holes in Happiness (Ginger Fish Remix)
- Putting Holes in Happiness (Instrumental) — Appears on Bonus Track and Instrumentals from the Album "Eat Me, Drink Me".
- Holes In Happiness (Remixed by DJ Eric ILL) — Official remix but not featured on any releases but was eventually released by the remixer to iTunes.
The music video, directed by the famous French filmmaker Phillipe Grandieux, is a simple performance by the band in an unknown, seemingly outdoor area. There is a young girl Manson is seen with many times in the video, and also a small boy who seems to be frightfully screaming from something not seen. Manson has stated in various interviews that select segments of the video were filmed in Germany during the shooting of the "Heart-Shaped Glasses (When the Heart Guides the Hand)" video in April 2007.
"Putting Holes In Happiness" teaser
The sky was blonde like her it was a day to take the child out back and shoot it. I could have buried all my dead up in her cemetery head she had dirty word witchcraft I was in the deep end of her skin. Then...it seemed like a one car wreck but I knew it was a horrid tragedy Ways to make the tiny satisfaction disappear. Blow out the candles on all my frankensteins. At least my death wish will come true. You taste like Valentines and we cry, You're like a birthday. I should have picked the photograph it lasted longer than you. Putting holes in happiness We'll paint the future black if it needs any color. My death sentence is a story who'll be digging when you finally let me die? The romance of our assassination If you're Bonnie, I'll be your Clyde. But the grass is greener here and I can see all of your snakes. You wear your ruins well please run away with me to hell Blow out the candles on all my frankensteins. At least my death wish will come true. You taste like Valentines and we cry, You're like a birthday. I should have picked the photograph it lasted longer than you.
- The song was written on January 5, 2007, Manson's 38th birthday, and the date of his divorce with Dita Von Teese.
- The title dates as far back as 2003, which was the name of a journal entry by Manson. It was then titled PUTTING HOLES INTO HAPPINESS.
- In the essay by Manson, "Putting Holes in Happiness", the line "Always get a photocopy" can be found. On the opposite page to the lyrics of "Putting Holes in Happiness" in Eat Me Drink Me, up at the top right hand corner the same line can be read in Manson's handwriting.