In the past, Marilyn Manson was known to launch hidden sites to promote select albums (Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death) prominently), but promotion campaigns by this method have since been discontinued. Similarly, during the Celebritarian era of the band (following the release of Lest We Forget – The Best Of), a code that was thought to be hidden was discovered. Much to fans' beliefs that this was intentionally meant to be found and deciphered, Marilyn Manson revealed in a 10-page exclusive interview with The Heirophant that the cause for alarm over the "hidden" code in the site was not his intention, and that his involvement in the Celebritarian era-incarnation of the website was minimal. Manson also stated that his involvement in the Eat Me, Drink Me incarnation of the website launched on April 16, 2007 is very high. October 5th, 2009 marked the launch of Manson's first full scale transformation since the placeholder image of "We're from America" was put up with the release of The High End of Low. The new site is heavily laden with Flash carrying over leit motifs from past eras, such as the Celebritarian Era imagery combined with The Golden Age of Grotesque imagery throughout the entire site. Alongside the News, Tour Dates, Artwork, and Store. New additions to the website included the Cinema section and a proper link to Babalon, the first official message forum in years.
As demonstrated by the premier of the highly controversial video for Running to the Edge of the World MarilynManson.com now serves as a site that Manson can utilize as a direct link to his fans, enabling him to release content that is in it's original form, uncensored and unrestricted by a record company.
History of the website
Mechanical Animals era
Beginning in 1998, Manson frequently interacted with his listeners on the newly created official website, MarilynManson.net, initially posting text messages and eventually short films of himself addressing the audience and of the band in the studio. His participation in this has gradually declined; from the release of The Golden Age of Grotesque. The Marilyn Manson BBS was opened up after the release of Mechanical Animals and was a very active forum in subjects other than the band, including art, politics, news and current events. There was much debate on the meanings and interpretations of various lyrics, diagrams, or pictures featured in the band's album cover art, particularly the symbolism of Holy Wood. Manson would occasionally interject on discussions along these lines. For reasons unknown, the BBS was removed, then reintroduced a few months later, and removed again. The user base sharply declined as many members never returned.
Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death) era
On December 15, 1999, a new intro video was placed on the website, featuring Manson with a shaved head and the alchemical symbol for mercury painted on his forehead holding a gun and walking towards the camera. On the same day, a webcast was launched, which announced the name of the album, it's direction and previewed several upcoming songs. During the summer of 2000, a second intro was uploaded (featuring Manson with a monkey clinging to his back) and during the autumn of 2001, it was replaced with a new intro, which contained numerous occult and alchemic references and also served as navigation page with links to all of the website's sections. The main page consisted of four buttons, each of them containing a single letter, with all the letters reading "ADAM", probably a reference to Adam Kadmon, the main hero of the storyline of the Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death) album.
The Golden Age of Grotesque era
The website of The Golden Age of Grotesque era featured most notably an extensive photo gallery and a journal kept by Manson, which he stopped updating shortly before the album release. The preface to the journal was a small vignette written by Marlene Dietrich. The website itself had many references to the 30s, including a new Manson logo (stylized to have an SS emblem-like look) and different photos of the era (including those of go-go girls and Nazi parades) used in the design. Also notable is a section named The Oracle, which allowed fans to ask Marilyn Manson questions, with the most interesting of them being made public along with Manson's answers.
Lest We Forget era
The new website was reminiscent of the Lest We Forget – The Best Of booklet design. The intro page featured a photo of Manson taken from the "(s)AINT" video, fading in and out. It was on this page that the first codes appeared (later their irrelevancy was confirmed by Manson). The website also featured a small photo gallery consisting only of screenshots from the "Personal Jesus" video and Manson's journal from the previous website.
- On January 19, 2006, the website was replaced with a page containing a single image containing text similar to that of a statement from Justice Jackson during the Nuremberg trials which read:
- This Tribunal, while it is novel and experimental, is not the product of abstract speculations nor is it created to vindicate legalistic theories. -Justice Jackson
- On February 5, 2006, the image was changed to a Flash-based animation depicting two nude girls wearing masks and covered in blood. An image of a white rabbit in a cage was added to the animation on the following day.
- On April 21, 2006, the animation was replaced by a rapid sequence of images including a cover of a newspaper about the Columbine high school massacre, a distorted still-frame of Marilyn Monroe singing "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" and a photo of Charles Manson's eyes.
- On April 25, 2006, a second page became available on the website. It featured a small code sequence, completing which resulted in a small piece of music (which became known as the "Celebritarian Hymn") playing. The page also featured voice samples of Alfred Hitchcock, Albert Speer and a radio translation by Stuart Hibberd announcing Hitler's death. The page remained until the full launch of the new website on November 5, 2006.
- Much to fans' beliefs that the secret code was intentionally meant to be found and deciphered, Marilyn Manson recently revealed that the codes were not his idea and that he didn't necessarily approve of them.
Fully active launch
On November 5, 2006 the full website was finally launched. Its sections were:
- Todays News — The news page.
- Performance — This page didn't exist at first; it was created after Marilyn Manson announced that he will be touring for Eat Me, Drink Me.
- Artworks — A page containing most of Marilyn Manson's paintings. The page featured an abstract image of a face (presumably Manson's) and a small red bar containing the words "HOW DO I LOOK?" to the right. The page was also dubbed with audio of a woman's distorted voice saying, "How do I look?" repeatedly, and a another audio sample that played in a loop.
- Gallery of Shapes — A page providing links to the following three pages:
- Cinema — A page with the Flash animation depicting a the two blood-covered girls which had also been seen previously in the year on the official website and the official websites for Phantasmagoria.
- Synesthesia Archive — A full discography; the links to the different albums' pages were photos of Marilyn Manson stylized to look like Andy Warhol's Marilyn Monroe silkscreen prints.
- Prescriptions — A link to a shop with Marilyn Manson merchandise.
Celebritarian references included were:
- On the news page, the news articles that were not taken from external sources such as Rolling Stone but rather from the band itself were credited to "The Celebritarian Corporation".
- The Cross of Lorraine acted as a "back" button on all pages.
- The news page featured a short video of a John Kennedy speech.
Eat Me, Drink Me era
On April 16, 2007 the website was again redeveloped and launched. The site featured imagery reminiscent of the themes expressed on the Eat Me, Drink Me album (no images of which are featured in the album's booklet).
Rather than Manson's confirmed minimal involvement in the previous stage of the website, Manson has stated that his involvement in the Eat Me, Drink Me incarnation of the website launched on April 16, 2007 is very high.
The sections featured in this launch included:
- The initial homepage featured two bloodstain-like M's and links to all sections below.
- The new homepage was created on May 8, 2007 and includes what appears to be a hallway of a hospital. A stretcher is carrying an amputated body that appears to be "put together" by a compilation of photographs attached to a string that carries up and off-screen. It is implied that the body on the stretcher belongs to the man seen in the News section, because both entities have hearts where their heads belong. On the wall can be found veins and muscles, "0550", a photograph of Manson, a clock without minute or hour hands, a painting of the rough "M M" found on the Eat Me, Drink Me album cover, and a wasp hive. Some objects found in this hallway scene link to the following sections when clicked.
The High End of Low era
On March 27, 2009, sections of the band's website were revised, The hospital scene on the homepage was replaced by a new photograph. In the image, Manson, dressed in army attire, appears to be holding a wrapped American flag in his hands. Laying behind him seems to be a woman clad in lingerie, who Manson mostly obstructs from the viewer. There are also words scrawled on the wall behind the two, which are animated by Adobe Flash Player.
The sections featured in this launch included:
- Download Exclusive Track — This linked to a page where visitors could register their e-mail address in return for a free download of "We're from America". On April 7, 2009, "We're from America" was made reissued as a digital download, and to coincide with this, the "Download Exclusive Track" link was removed from the band's website.
- MySpace — This links to Marilyn Manson's official MySpace profile.
- Track Listing — This didn't exist at first. It links to a page containing the track listing for Marilyn Manson's 2009 album, The High End of Low.
- Tour Dates — A page which lists venues where Marilyn Manson will be performing on the upcoming tour to promote The High End of Low, and links to their respective ticket providers. This page remains unchanged from the Eat Me, Drink Me era.
- Art — This linked to the official website for Marilyn Manson's paintings. Three new pieces were added to its catalog to coincide with the relaunch of MarilynManson.com.
- When the website was updated on April 15, 2009, the Art link was altered to "Art Store".
- Art Gallery — This didn't exist at first. It links to a page containing most of Marilyn Manson's paintings, including two new pieces which were previously seen at Manson's Miami exhibition in December 2008. This page remained from two previous versions of the website.
MarilynManson.com 2009 Version 2.0
MarilynManson.com was transformed into its current incarnation on 10/05/09, to coincide with the launch of the headlinging tour in Perth Australia.Heavily laden with flash and electrostatic hum, two vertical lines merge to form the Star of Babalon with a $ sign enclosed. The loading screen between pages of the site are seen to include a collage reminiscent of early Spooky Kid's flyers, consisting of photos of Marilyn Monroe and Charles Manson's eyes encircled by a crown of 15 daggers projected on a screen of static. This circle of daggers was seen on the Celebritarian incarnation of the site in 2005.
The sections featured in this launch included:
- The index page consists of Manson sitting on his bed with in helmet with his arm wrapped in the American flag as a girl, presumably dead, lies outstretched behind him in white stockings and a garter belt.
- News — The news page; Which appears on the front page with the title Today's News: The Opinion You Will Inevitably Agree With in bold and links to the current news.
- Merch — This links to an online retailer selling Marilyn Manson merchandise.
- Click to Watch Video Premiere "Arma-goddamn-motherfuckin-geddon" — This didn't exist at first.; it was created on May 14, 2009 and features the music video for "Arma-goddamn-motherfuckin-geddon".
- Message Board — This didn't exist at first.; it was created on June 19, 2009 and links to the official Marilyn Manson message board, located at Babalon.
Later an alternate message appeared on the news page stating:
"On this, the day of souls, the celebrations of death end with an offering. Only by prayer and the sacrifices of the masses may the dead be cleansed from sin and attain the beatific cally acclaimed music video.."
A similar message was reported prior to the release of the (s)AINT video in 2005:
On this, the Day of Souls, the celebrations of death end with an offering. Only by prayer and the sacrifices of the masses may the dead be cleansed from sin and attain the Beatific Vision. In its complete, uncut and unedited form, Manson offers to us the critically acclaimed music video for (s)AINT.
The "Day of Souls" is thought to be a reference to All Souls Day and led to the release of the test pilot for the Running to the Edge of the World video on November, 5th 2009.
Audio, along with various whispers and a Morse code message:
These were found to contain a Numbers Station recording known as The Swedish Rhapsody.
The numbers as heard in Swedish Rhapsody are reported to be as follows:
17277 17277 17758 19999 19999 22227 22227 81871 81871 54198 54198 28956 28956 81154 81154 20802 20802 18412 18412 41785 41785
IRONS ARE IN THE FIRE. NOW IS THE TIME. YOU ARE GETTING CLOSER
- October 7, 2009: The message "WE ARE WATCHING YOU" was found in the source code, this was removed on the 8th.
- New morse code audio was reported on October 13, 2009:
14 – 15 – 20
05 - 22 - 05 - 18 - 25 - 20 - 08 - 09 - 14 - 07
08 - 01 - 19
13 - 05 - 01 - 14 - 09 - 14 – 07
Translate these numbers by the corresponding letters in the alphabet: "NOT EVERYTHING HAS A MEANING"
- At 6.19 November 5th, the new video for Running to the Edge of the World was added to the cinema section.
- On April 20, 2010, to coincide with both the anniversary of the Columbine massacre and Hitler's birthday, the site was updated with a new flash video intro.
On May 22, 2011, the band's website underwent a complete overhaul. A short 26 second snippet of a new song, tentatively titled, "I Am Among No One (excerpt from an undisclosed song with an unreleased title)" was uploaded to the redesigned main page along with a new logo to signify their eighth studio album and the new era. The logo consisted of the letter M repeated four times in a spiral pattern, each with one long tail. At the end of the long tail is the Chinese trigram ☲ (離 lí) of the I Ching. Read lengthwise or up-and-down, it formed Hexagram 30, "Radiance," also called "the clinging" and "the net". The origin of the character is rooted in symbols of long-tailed birds such as the peacock or the legendary phoenix. The CMYK coloring was also notable with regard to an acrostic formed by Manson, in a journal entry that accompanied the site changes, which spelled out the words "Christianity Manufactures Yesterdays Killers".
During the Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death) eras, additional websites were launched. Because almost all of these websites have been defunct for several years, a link is provided for each website to it's archived form on The Nachtkabarett.
ComaWhite.com, found through the Mechanical Animals album booklet, consisted of a chart, which can also be seen in the inlay of the Mechanical Animals album, and by clicking on various cells of chart certain images were revealed. One of the images linked to the official Marilyn Manson message board.
Launched in the summer of 2000, the website acted as a prelude to the album Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death), with one of the updates adding an image of Kern Gate and a message by Manson stating the band is in Death Valley and writing a new album.
A website containing a preview of the identically named song from Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death). The image displayed on the website was the cover of the book Holy Wood, which was planned to be released along with the album, but as of 2007 remains currently unreleased.
A website containing a preview of the identically named song from Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death) and also featuring a single image displaying the process of evolution from a monkey to a man, depicting the song's theme.
A website containing a preview of the identically named song from Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death). The single image displayed on the website was that of a senate press conference concerning violence in entertainment, which was held shortly after the Columbine High School Massacre, for inspiring which Manson was blamed. The image depicts senators Joe Lieberman and Orrin Hatch, the latter of which is holding Marilyn Manson's Antichrist Superstar album.
Found through a post made by Manson on the official BBS on February 14, 2001, named "They'd Remember 'This As Valentine's Day'". The website contains an image of the Time magazine dated February 14, 1964, which had Marina Oswald featured on the cover. By clicking on her broach, Chapter 10 of the novel Holy Wood (meant to be released along with the album) is displayed. Also, by clicking on the date on the magazine, the user is redirected to ComaWhite.com.
The original version of the website contained an extensive questionnaire and a video intro featuring photos of famous deceased political leaders. The song playing in the background is "I'm Leaving it Up To You" by Daly and Grace (the song was the number one song on November 22, 1963, the day John F. Kennedy was assassinated). After the Lest We Forget – The Best Of release, the website was replaced with a single image of the Cross of Lorraine, which linked to the official Manson website. Currently, it redirects to the official Manson website.
On May 22, 2007, this official Eat Me, Drink Me site was discovered through a link found in the Europe "Heart-Shaped Glasses (When the Heart Guides the Hand)" single. The site contains lyrics, an art gallery, a mosaic, and the ability to stream up to two tracks per day starting on May 28, 2007. Upon completion of the mosaic, an Eat Me, Drink Me wallpaper becomes available for download, and three preview tracks ("Heart-Shaped Glasses (When the Heart Guides the Hand)", "If I Was Your Vampire", and "Evidence") become available for streaming.
On May 7, 2009, this official website for The High End of Low went online. Along with a new promotional photo, the site provides partial lyrics to "Arma-goddamn-motherfuckin-geddon", links to pre-order both the album and the "Arma-goddamn-motherfuckin-geddon" CD single, a mailing list and a Facebook application that features partial lyrics and samples of the former, as well as "Devour" and "We're from America". On May 14, 2009, the website was updated to include a stream of the music video for "Arma-goddamn-motherfuckin-geddon".
Born Villain.com was revealed online by Fred Sablan via twitter on August 17, 2011. The website, featuring a single image of Manson, the date: August 28, and location: L.A. Silent Theatre, was the first glimpse of what was to become Marilyn Manson's eighth studio album title, and the short film Born Villain, directed by Shia LaBeouf. The film was presented at L.A. Silent Theatre on August 28, to a private audience, and later uploaded to the website for public viewing on September 2nd.
Born Villain.com Update
Born Villain.com was updated 10th April, 2012 ahead of the release of the Born Villain (album), the update included the videos for the song No Reflection, as well as the Born Villain trailer, and I Am Among No One. A link to Manson's label Cooking Vinyl and full song lyrics for all tracks on the the album were also included in the update.
Bornvillain.com Hidden Images A gallery of subliminal images that flashed upon clicking BornVillain on the Home page after the April 10, 2012 update. At times, clicking Lyrics or Videos seem to repeat images, other times they appear at random.
Gallery incomplete at this time May 2, 2012
Slo-mo-tion.com was revealed online via the official Marilyn Manson Facebook profile on August 22, 2012. The website featuring the premier of the second music video from the Born Villain album for the song Slo-Mo-Tion.
Registered, but unused domain names
Several domain names were registered throughout Manson's career, possibly with the intent of creating additional "sister sites", but were never used.
Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death) era
The Golden Age of Grotesque era
From 1999 to 2003 Marilyn Manson released six flashcards, which featured mostly drawn imagery (with the exception of the "mOBSCENE" flashcard) and small parts of songs. Flashcards released were:
- The Last Tour on Earth promotion flashcard, featuring a song preview of "Astonishing Panorama of the Endtimes".
- "The Love Song" flashcard, featuring rapidly interchanging photos.
- "Cruci-Fiction in Space" flashcard, featuring images of monkeys, an image of a gun and an image of a human skull, portraying the main theme of the song.
- "Burning Flag" flashcard, featuring images of the American Flag and those of soldiers during the World War II.
- "GodEatGod" flashcard, featuring religious images.
- "Disposable Teens" flashcard, featuring the single cover, images of the John F. Kennedy autopsy and stills from the video for the song.
- "The Fight Song" flashcard, featuring the cover image and chapter index design taken from Manson's autobiography, The Long Hard Road Out of Hell.
- "The Nobodies" flashcard, featuring band shots and different occult images.
- "mOBSCENE" flashcard, featuring band shots and stills from the music video.
- Marilyn Manson analysis, including info about the website
- Analysis of Marilyn Manson.com 2009
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Marilyn Manson previews eighth studio album online". NME. IPC Media. 2011-05-23. http://www.nme.com/news/marilyn-manson/56835. Retrieved 2011-06-11.
- ↑ Manson, Marilyn (2011-05-22). "Rapeture". MarilynManson.com. Marilyn Manson. http://marilynmanson.com/2011/rapeture/. Retrieved 2011-05-23.