Man That You Fear (song)
- This article is about the song
- For the single see Man That You Fear (single)
- For the live bootleg recorded on May 4, 1997 see Man That You Fear (bootleg)
|"Man That You Fear"|
|Song by Marilyn Manson|
|Released||October 8, 1996|
|Recorded||1996 at Nothing Studios in New Orleans, Louisiana|
|Genre||Alternative rock, Experimental rock, Piano rock|
|Composer||Twiggy Ramirez, Marilyn Manson, Madonna Wayne Gacy, Daisy Berkowitz|
|Producer||Trent Reznor, Dave Ogilvie, Marilyn Manson|
"Man That You Fear" is the third and final single and the sixteenth track of the second album Antichrist Superstar. The song is inspired by what Manson had to grow up with and how it turned him into what he is now, a man or monster that people now have grown to fear. The line, "Are all your infants in abortion cribs?" refers to a story told in The Long Hard Road Out of Hell in which Manson as a child found a coffee can with something rotting inside. His mother told him it was discarded meat, but later told him that it was actually an aborted fetus.
- Man That You Fear — Appears on Antichrist Superstar.
- Man That You Fear (Radio Edit) — Appears on the "Man That You Fear" promotional single.
- Man That You Fear (Acoustic Requiem for Antichrist Superstar) — Appears on Remix & Repent.
- Man That You Fear (Demo #1) — Never officially released but available online and appears on Antichrist Final Songs.
- Man That You Fear (Demo #2) — Never officially released but available online and appears on Antichrist Final Songs.
In the music video, directed by Wiz, Manson portrays a man who is condemned to die. He is "chosen" by a blindfolded child who spins around pointing her finger. When she stops spinning, she removed the blindfold and sees the trailer home that she is pointing to — the condemned's home. The video features all events of his last day on earth, leading up to his death by stoning in an isolated location of the desert. It is oddly reminiscent of Shirley Jackson's short story The Lottery.
the ants are in the sugar the muscles atrophied we're on the other side, the screen is us and we're t.v. spread me open, sticking to my pointy ribs are all your infants in abortion cribs I was born into this everything turns to shit the boy that you loved is the man that you fear pray until you're number, asleep from all your pain, your apple has been rotting tomorrow's turned up dead i have it all and i have no choice but to i'll make everyone pay and you will see you can kill yourself now because you're dead in my mind the boy that you loved is the monster you fear peel off all those eyes and crawl into the dark, you've poisoned all of your children to camouflage your scars pray unto the splinters, pray unto your fear pray your life was just a dream the cut that never heals pray now baby, pray your life was just a dream (I am so tangled in my sins that I cannot Escape) pinch the head off, collapse me like a weed someone had to go this far I was born into this everything turns to shit the boy that you loved is the man that you fear peel off all those eyes and crawl into the dark, you've poisoned all of your children to camouflage your scars pray unto the splinters, pray unto your fear pray your life was just a dream the cut that never heals pray now baby, pray your life was just a dream the world in my hands, there's no one left to hear you scream there's no one left for you
In 2011, Scott Putesky released the first demo version of "Man That You Fear", that was published as two different demo versions with purely minor audio differences, to the public via the website SoundCloud. The first version was recorded in the fall of 1995, and the other in 1996. Both versions are considerably shorter than the final song and notably lack several verses and the bridge present in the final version.
- The opening line of the song was first used in the song "Luci in the Sky with Demons" from The Family Jams.
- The song was initially penned during Manson's cousin's wedding ceremony.