|Song by Marilyn Manson|
|Album||Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death)|
|Released||November 13, 2000|
|Recorded||1999–2000 at the Mansion in Death Valley, California|
|Genre||Industrial rock, alternative rock, noise rock|
|Producer||Marilyn Manson, Dave Sardy|
"GodEatGod" is the first track on the 2000 release Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death). Its title is spoonerism of the term "dog eat dog". The meaning of this proverb is that the world is a jungle, where they all eat each other. The origin of that saying is ancient, from the Latin "homo hominis lupus", "man is a wolf to the man".
Manson said in the magazine KERRANG (2000), "this song Provides the Things of the valley of death, a metaphor for the Pariah and the imperfection of the world."
- GodEatGod — Appears on Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death).
Dear god do you want to tear your knuckles down And hold yourself Dear god can you climb off that tree Meat in the shape of a 'T' Dear god the paper says you were the King In the black limousine Dear John and all the King's men Can't put your head together again Before the bullets Before the flies Before authorities take out my eyes The only smiling are you dolls that I made But you are plastic and so are your brains Dear god the sky is as blue As a gunshot wound Dear god if you were alive You know we'd kill you Before the bullets Before the flies Before authorities take out my eyes The only smiling are you dolls that I made But you are plastic and so are your brains
- It is interesting to note that the sequence of beats before the guitars hit are a prime example of the Web archive: Fibonacci Sequence, a mathematical algorithm that is found in all of nature, and was programmed into Manson's work, most notably Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death). The sequence of the beats of the sounds before the introduction of the guitars in GodEatGod are as follow. 1, 1, 2, 3, 5; one noise, another, two in succession, three in succession, five in succession and the song begins. As pointed out on The Nachkabarett: Fibonacci & Holywood
- A raw instrumental version of the track was used in the "Autopsy" video that was used to promote Holy Wood. The video is available as an easter egg on the Lest We Forget – The Best Of bonus DVD.
- There are only two live shows where the band performed "GodEatGod": 2000/11/14 New York City, NY and 2001/02/06 Bologna, Italy.
- The line "Dear John and all the King's men / Can't put your head together again" is reference to the nursery rhyme of Humpty Dumpty: "All the king's horses and all the king's men / Couldn't put Humpty together again".
- The Black Limousine, can also be a reference to Elvis Presley's song "Long Black Limousine." The lyrics of the song is about the funeral procession of a person who wanted to be noticed by the people with morbidity and suffering, and is carried in a funeral hearse. Kennedy was assassinated in his Lincoln limousine in front of a crowd of bewildered and grieving. Also his funeral procession, people with tears and suffering for his death to see the parade attended to his funeral.