Get Your Gunn (song)
- For the single see Get Your Gunn (single)
|"Get Your Gunn"|
|Song by Marilyn Manson|
|Album||Portrait of an American Family|
|Released||July 12, 1994|
|Recorded||August–December 1993 at Criteria Studios in Miami, Florida, Record Plant Studios in Los Angeles, California, The Village Recorder and Pig|
|Composer||Daisy Berkowitz, Gidget Gein|
|Producer||Marilyn Manson, Trent Reznor|
"Get Your Gunn" is the first single and the seventh track of the first album Portrait of an American Family. The song was inspired by the murder of OB/GYN doctor David Gunn who was killed in Florida by an anti-abortion activist. Vocalist Marilyn Manson described his murder as 'the ultimate hypocrisy'.
Get Your Gunn was also the first release from Nothing Records.
- Get Your Gunn (1994)
- S*F*W (1994)
The Manson Family Album
- "Get Your Gunn" — Appears on Portrait Sessions.
- "Get Your Gunn" — Appears on The Manson Family Album.
- "Get Your Gunn" — Appears on Portrait of an American Family.
- "Get Your Gunn (High School Drop-outs)" — Appears on promotional versions of the "Get Your Gunn" single.
- "Mother Inferior Got Her Gunn" — Appears on the "Get Your Gunn" single.
- "Get Your Gunn" (Live) — Appears on The Last Tour on Earth.
The music video, directed by Rod Chong, features Manson performing in a damp "attic-like" scene, intertwined by footage of band members and two feisty teenage girls. It did not receive much video play.
goddamn your righteous hand i eat innocent meat the housewife i will beat the prolife i will kill what you won't do i will i bash myself to sleep what you sow i will reap i scar myself you see i wish i wasn't me i am the little stick you stir me into shit i hate therefore i am goddamn your righteous hand goddamn, goddamn, goddamn, goddamn pseudo-morals work real well on the talk shows for the weak but your selective judgements and goodguy badges don't mean a fuck to me i throw a little fit i slit my teenage wrist the most that I can learn is in records that you burn get your gunn, get your gunn, get your gunn, get your gunn pseudo-morals work real well on the talk shows for the weak but your selective judgements and goodguy badges don't mean a fuck to me i am the vhs record me with your fist you want me to save the world i'm just a little girl pseudo-morals work real well on the talk shows for the weak but your selective judgements and goodguy badges don't mean a fuck to me get your gunn, get your gunn, get your gunn, get your gunn... get
- "Snake Eyes and Sissies" was initially meant to be the album's lead single, but "Get Your Gunn" was released instead.
- According to photos on his MySpace profile, former Marilyn Manson guitarist Scott Putesky, better known as Daisy Berkowitz, can be seen playing a Jackson Soloist in the song's music video. Putesky also states the video was filmed in Texas.
- After the lyrics "I am the vhs/Record me with your fist/You want me to save the world/I'm just a little girl" (Which occur at 2:29) a clip from Budd Dwyer's suicide can be heard.
- The line "I hate, therefore I am" is a play on the phrase "I think, therefore I am", which was originally stated by René Descartes.
- "The title is spelled with two n's because the song was a reaction to the murder of Dr. David Gunn, who was killed in Florida by pro-life activists while I was living there. That was the ultimate hypocrisy I witnessed growing up: that these people killed someone in the name of being "pro-life." - Marilyn Manson
- "Get Your Gunn", along with "Coma White" and "Tourniquet", was made available to download as a playable track on Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock on February 8, 2011 as part of the February Megapack.
- In Texas on the set of Get Your Gunn - Ouija Jackson Soloist - lots of fog machine action. MySpace Music. Scott Putesky.