Cupid Carries a Gun
- This article is about the song
- For the single see Cupid Carries a Gun (single)
|"Cupid Carries a Gun"|
|Song by Marilyn Manson and Tyler Bates|
|Album||The Pale Emperor|
|Released||April 20, 2014|
|Genre||Blues rock, gothic rock|
|Writer||Marilyn Manson and Tyler Bates|
|Composer||Marilyn Manson and Tyler Bates|
"Cupid Carries a Gun" is the ninth track on the 2015 release The Pale Emperor. The song was recorded in collaboration with composer Tyler Bates for the opening titles of Salem, marking Marilyn Manson's television scoring debut. "Cupid Carries a Gun" is the second song Marilyn Manson completed for a television series, following "Food Pyramid" in 2002, and the first to be featured on a studio album. The song was officially released as a digital single on January 7th, 2015.
- "Cupid Carries a Gun" appears on The Pale Emperor.
Opening titles - WGN's Salem
Pound me the witch drums, witch drums Pound me the witch drums Pound me the witch drums, the witch drums Better pray for hell, not hallelujah I'm the curled up fists Dead and hardened spiders Like two mangled crowns On the white heads of the meanest coiled snakes Folks say that I Look like Death Lived in the hotel of my eyes Blinds wide open like a whore Paid in spit from that hearse between her thighs Keep your halos tight I'm your god or your guardian Keep your halo tight One hand on the trigger, the other hand in mine Because now Cupid carries a gun Now, now Cupid, Cupid carries a gun She had those crow-black eyes Starless, but she fucked like a comet She laid as still as a Bible And it felt like Revelations when I looked inside
- "The song 'Cupid Carries a Gun' was the last track we just finished for my new album. The occult and witchcraft [are] so often used in cinema with a heinous disregard for even researching its origins. However, I liked the themes of Salem. It looks at the witch trials without being cliche like most modern films." - Marilyn Manson regarding WGN's Salem.
- "Manson and I wrote a draft of 'Cupid Carries a Gun' shortly before I began working on the score for Salem. A couple weeks later I saw the title sequence and the song immediately came to mind. I showed it to Manson for fun more than anything, and it inspired us to finish the song that night. The next day I played it for Brannon Braga and he said that 'Cupid Carries a Gun' was the perfect tone and attitude for the show's main titles." - Tyler Bates regarding 'Cupid Carries a Gun' and Salem.