- This article is about the song
- For the single see Coma White (single)
|Song by Marilyn Manson|
|Released||September 14, 1998|
|Recorded||1997–1998 at the White Room, Westlake Recording Studios in West Hollywood, California and Conway Studios|
|Genre||Alternative metal, alternative rock, industrial metal, industrial rock, gothic rock|
|Composer||Twiggy Ramirez, Madonna Wayne Gacy, Zim Zum|
|Producer||Michael Beinhorn, Marilyn Manson|
"Coma White" is the fourteenth track of the 1998 release Mechanical Animals. It is also the fourth and final single spawned from this album. It was only released promotionally and was followed by a music video. The song was inspired by a friend of Manson's who was addicted to drugs, and eventually killed herself. It is considered a fan favorite, and one of Manson's most powerful songs vocally and emotionally. In the Triptych, "Coma White" also serves as the sequel song to Coma Black.
Also see the in-depth analysis of the Coma White theme on The Nachtkabarett.
- "Coma White" — Appears on Mechanical Animals and Lest We Forget – The Best Of.
- "Coma White" (Radio Edit) — Appears on the "Coma White" promotional single.
- "Coma White" (Acoustic) — Appears on the "Coma White" promotional single and the UK version of The Last Tour on Earth.
The music video, directed by Samuel Bayer, features a twisted reenactment of the assassination of John F. Kennedy. Manson, portraying Kennedy, is seen with Coma White waving to his fans who are clearing way for the car. Halfway through the video Manson is shot, and eventually lays his head on Coma White's lap, dying. In the scenes following Manson is seen nailed to a wooden crucifix, similar to Jesus Christ, and is carried past the onlooking fans in the street.
The music video was first alluded to in a February 4, 1999 post by Manson on MarilynManson.net's message board, where Manson revealed "we are making the most beautiful and disturbing video we have ever done-- Coma White." Later in an August 16 post, Manson confirmed that MTV had received the video, but was uncertain if they would air it due to its content. He went on to assure that the video would be included with the then-upcoming home video God Is in the T.V..
While the story shown is unrelated to the song’s lyrics, the video's contents foreshadowed some of the themes on the band’s next album, Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death).
Behind the scenes
- "Coma White" (Radio Edit) – 4:19
There's something cold and blank behind her smile She's standing on an overpass In her miracle mile (Coma): "You were from a perfect world A world that threw me away today Today to run away" A pill to make you numb A pill to make you dumb A pill to make you anybody else But all the drugs in this world Won't save her from herself Her mouth was an empty cut And she was waiting to fall Just bleeding like a polaroid that Lost all her dolls (Coma): "You were from a perfect world A world that threw me away today Today to run away" A pill to make you numb A pill to make you dumb A pill to make you anybody else But all the drugs in this world Won't save her from herself
- Marilyn Manson – vocals and piano
- Twiggy Ramirez – lead and rhythm guitars, bass
- Madonna Wayne Gacy – keyboards and mellotron
- Zim Zum – acoustic and lead guitar
- Ginger Fish – drums
Marilyn Manson's "Coma White" Inside the Song w/ Michael Beinhorn - Warren Huart: Produce Like A Pro
- "Coma White", along with "Get Your Gunn" and "Tourniquet", was made available to download as a playable track on Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock on February 8, 2011 as part of the February Megapack.
- TO REAL FANS OF ANY KIND. MarilynManson.net. Marilyn Manson. February 4, 1999.
- this is the end, my only friends. MarilynManson.net. Marilyn Manson. August 16, 1999.