|Written by Shia LaBeouf and Karolyn Pho|
|Released:||August 28, 2011|
|Illustrator:||Shia La Beouf (photographer), Karolyn Pho (photographer)|
|Publisher:||Grassy Slope Entertainment, Inc.|
Campaign is a coffee table book by Shia LaBeouf and Karolyn Pho which is attached to the Born Villain project that accompanies the Born Villain album. It was released on August 28, 2011 by LaBeouf's Grassy Slope Entertainment production company through various retailers.
The book, accompanied by a DVD, is a visual accompaniment to Manson and LaBeouf's Born Villain joint project. It is a collection of photographs taken by LaBeouf and his girlfriend, Karolyn Pho, of posters they put up to promote Born Villain, retracing the steps of a night LaBeouf spent traversing Los Angeles with Manson.
The book was made available for pre-order on August 28, 2011, preceeding the screening of the Born Villain short film at L.A. Silent Theatre. By ordering the book, purchasers gained entry to a book signing event followed by private screening of Born Villain at 10pm of September 1, 2011, at Hennessey + Ingalls outlet in Hollywood.
"Locals Rule. I think. Odd, living in L.A all my life and taking for granted my environment, my city. But one night, just a few months ago, I bumped into Marilyn Manson at one of my locals and together we crawled the city a bit; where he lived, where I lived, where we ate and drank and where we have been entertained. We traveled the roads to those places on streets that had become too familiar. And then I reflected back on that brief journey and traced that trip (with photographs). I connected buildings and streets, freeways, storefronts and trees with a BORN VILLAIN at my side. Here it is but with a little mood music to set my mood. - Shia and K and MM"
While fan's reaction to the book has been mostly negative, the book got good reviews, and the video, Born Villain, has a good rating on IMDB.
Born Villain Campaign was launched on the streets of LA by way of illegally pasted handbills and via the website the CampaignBook.com by Karolyn Pho and Shia La Beouf. The website dedicated to the promotional campaign was discovered via a poster on August 27th, 2011.
Credit: Shia LaBeouf
- "Campaign Official Website". Shia LaBeouf & Karolyn Pho. Archived from the original. (Citation error). http://www.thecampaignbook.com/dealers.html. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- "Campaign book signing". Hennessey & Ingalls. http://www.hennesseyingalls.com/hennessey/dept.asp?s_id=0&dept_id=5092. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- "Born Villain (Book + DVD)". Hennessey & Ingalls. http://www.hennesseyingalls.com/hennessey/product.asp?s_id=0&pf_id=B005J24ZHS. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- "Campaign dealers". Shia LaBeouf. http://www.thecampaignbook.com/dealers.html. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- Warner, Kara (2011-08-31). "Shia LaBeouf Calls Marilyn Manson Video 'A Cool Diversion'". MTV News. MTV Networks (Viacom). http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1670077/shia-labeouf-marilyn-manson-born-villian-video.jhtml. Retrieved 2011-09-01.
- Rao, Mallika (2011-08-31). "'Born Villain': The Shia LaBeouf/Marilyn Manson Collaboration Has Arrived". The Huffington Post. AOL. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/31/born-villain-shia-lebeouf-marilyn-manson_n_943791.html. Retrieved 2011-09-02.