Born Villain (film)
|Film by Shia LaBeouf|
|Directed by||Shia LaBeouf|
|Written by||Shia LaBeouf, Marilyn Manson|
|Music by||Marilyn Manson, Chris Vrenna, Twiggy, Fred Sablan|
|Release date||August 28, 2011|
Born Villain is a short film directed by actor Shia LaBeouf in collaboration with Marilyn Manson. It was released on August 28, 2011, during its inaugural screening, at the L.A. Silent Theater. Produced as an accompaniment to the Born Villain album, the film was intended as the record's promotional "trailer". The music heard in the video is the song "Overneath the Path of Misery".
Background and development
- for a complete overview of the accompanying album see Born Villain (album).
|“||"The song has all these references to 'Macbeth' and all this Shakespeare and heavy theology, so we tried to make Manson's 'Un Chien Andalou' macabre 'Macbeth' — that's sort of what that became."||”|
The idea for the film originated after Manson and LaBeouf struck up a friendship at a concert of The Kills. The actor, who "has always been intrigued" with the singer, then offered to direct his next music video. In order to convince him, LaBeouf gave Manson a screening of Maniac — his directorial collaboration with American rappers Kid Cudi and Cage. Impressed, Manson commissioned the aspiring director to create a "making-of" video documenting the album's recording and production.
Manson and LaBeouf produced the film throughout July of 2011 under the management of California-based production company Vanderson Inc. The film borrows a variety of "very intense, graphic imagery" from an number of sources including Alejandro Jodorowsky's 1973 film The Holy Mountain, Salvador Dalí and Luis Buñuel's 1929 short film Un Chien Andalou, Shakespeare and theology. LaBeouf explained that "we tried to make Manson's 'Un Chien Andalou' macabre 'Macbeth' — that's sort of what that became." Manson, for his part, described his intention with the film as "both an homage and a mockery of the history of Cinema." On August 17, Sablan leaked the film's official website on his Twitter blog. The website announced the project release date. Drummer Chris Vrenna has claimed that Born Villain is not a music video but "a full thing". He also mentioned that the film contain short clips of the album and its own score.
- Main article: Campaign
Campaign is a book by Shia La Beouf (photographer), Karolyn Pho (photographer) and Marilyn Manson released in August of 2011 by Shia La Beouf's Grassy Slope Entertainment, Inc. The book, accompanied by a DVD, is a visual accompaniment to Marilyn Manson and Shia La Beouf's collaboration, Born Villain.
Credit: Fred Sablan and others
- Marilyn Manson
- Miss Crash
- Fred Sablan
- Ashley Adair
- Shia LaBeouf — director
- Chris Giammalvo — production designer 
- Suehs, Bob (2011-08-20). "Army of the Universe: The Interview". Rock N Roll Experience Magazine. Angelfire. Archived from the original. (Citation error). http://web.archive.org/web/20120315014952/http://www.angelfire.com/rock/e4/vrenna.html. Retrieved 2011-08-26.
- Warner, Kara (2011-08-31). "Shia LaBeouf Calls Marilyn Manson Video 'A Cool Diversion'". MTV News. MTV Networks (Viacom). http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1670077/shia-labeouf-marilyn-manson-born-villian-video.jhtml. Retrieved 2011-09-01.
- "Marilyn Manson recruits Shia LaBeouf to document new album". Kerrang!. Bauer Media Group. 2011-07-01. Archived from the original. (Citation error). http://web.archive.org/web/20130515213452/http://www.kerrang.com/blog/2011/07/marilyn_manson_recruits_shia_l.html. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- Barshad, Amos (2011-07-01). "Shia LaBeouf Told Regis and Kelly He's Working With Marilyn Manson". Vulture. New York magazine. http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/07/shia_labeouf_told_regis_and_ke.html. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- "Transformers star Shia LaBeouf set to shoot new Marilyn Manson documentary". NME. IPC Media. 2011-07-01. Archived from the original. (Citation error). http://web.archive.org/web/20140505170916/http://www.nme.com/news/marilyn-manson/57704. Retrieved 2011-07-02.
- "Vanderson Inc. project resume". Vanderson Inc.. Wix. http://www.wix.com/vandersoninc/vanderson-inc-2/resume.
- Manson, Marilyn (2011-09-02). "Marilyn Manson Announces Album Title, "Born Villain"". Marilynmanson.com Journal. Marilynmanson.com. Archived from the original. (Citation error). http://web.archive.org/web/20140701062310/http://marilynmanson.com/2011/marilyn-manson-announces-album-title-born-villain/. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- "Marilyn Manson names eighth studio album as 'Born Villain'". NME. IPC Media. 2011-09-02. Archived from the original. (Citation error). http://web.archive.org/web/20140413125154/http://www.nme.com/news/marilyn-manson/58994. Retrieved 2011-09-02.